Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Graham Cracker Almond Cookies

This past Saturday I threw a surprise birthday party for my Mother in Law's 60th birthday. I made it to be a pot luck BBQ. Not everyone brought something and not everyone who brought something made it themselves. Though one super great big hit was this peanut brittle type stuff that Bill's Auntie Roberta brought. Everyone asked who made it and can they have the recipe and just yesterday, she sent me an email with it. It's surprisingly easy considering how good it is! So, today I am trying it out. 


You will need:

• 1 cup butter (do not use margarine!)
 ¾ cup brown sugar
• graham crackers
• 3½ oz. sliced almonds 


• glass jelly roll pan
• tin foil

Before I go on, I have to say that I mixed things up a bit and decided to use pecans instead of almonds. I like to save my almonds for an awesome coffee short bread recipe I have. 


Melt butter and sugar together over medium heat, bringing to a gentle boil for 5 minutes. Careful to stir enough to not let it burn (butter and sugar can and will burn really quickly). When it's a syrupy consistency, it's ready. 


While melting the butter and brown sugar, I lined my pan with tin foil and greased it well with butter. Then I lined the bottom with whole graham crackers and used halfies for the end row. 


I used my food processor to lightly chop the nuts. Then sprinkle them as even as possible over top the graham crackers. 


When the butter and sugar mixture is ready, pour it very gently over the the top of the graham crackers and nuts. If you pour too fast, all the nuts will end up at the edges of the pan. 


Bake the whole thing at 375°F for 10 minutes. 


When it's done, be very careful with the pan. The liquid is very hot and will burn very badly if you get it on your skin. 


Let it cool to room temperature before breaking it up into cookie sized pieces. 


And then eat them up like there's no tomorrow because they're just that good!


Hope you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment